HISTORY OF THE
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
RICHMOND, SALEM TOWNSHIP, OHIO
Rev. Joseph Hall, a young Methodist Episcopal preacher, came to
Ohio in 1800, and married Miss Delila, daughter of James Moores, of
Salem Township, and settled on the northwest quarter of Section 2, on
what was afterwards the Burchfield property, about a mile and a half
south of the site of Richmond. He preached sometimes at the house of
Mr. Moores and later at Stephen Ford's and Henry Jackman's, until a
small log church was built on the land of the latter. A class was
formed about 1808, which included James Moores, leader, and wife,
Christina, Hall and wife Delilah, Ford and wife Ruth, George Hout and
wife Christina. A brick church 40 x 44 was built at Richmond tn 1832,
which stood with some alterations until 1861, when it was replaced by
a new brick structure 45 x 66, costing $5,000. It is on the east side
of South Sugar Street.
The charge was formerly a part of Cross Creek circuit, but it is
now Richmond circuit, including Mt. Hope, Mt. Tabor and Mt. Zion.
The pastors have included John Graham, 1828; Edward Taylor, 1828-
30, William Knox, 1830-31; David Merriman, 1831-32; S. R. Brockunier,
1832; Walter Athey, 1823; Simon Lauk, 1833-34; Athey and Taylor, 1835;
John P. Kent, Henry Wharton, 1836; Thomas Thompson, 1837; John W, Miner,
1837-38; P. K. McCue, 1838; J. M. Bray, Harvey Bradshaw, 1839-40; J. M.
Bray, 1840; George McCaskey, John Murray, 1841-42; John Moffit, Isaac
McClaskey, 1843; J. C. Taylor, C. E. Weirich, 1845; W. C. Henderson, B.
F. Sawhill, 1847; J. L. Williams, John Hare, A. J. Blake, 1849; J. Spen-
cer, George Crook, 1850; Thomas Winstanley, 1850-51; S. F. Miner, 1851;
M. W. Dallas, 1852; J. H. White, 1852-53; S. F. Miner, 1853; T. C. Mc-
Clure, 1854; Alexander Scott. 1854-55; Lud Petty. 1855-56; Geo. McKee,
1856; S. Nesbitt, S. M. Hickman, 1857; G. A. Lowman, 1857-58; W. H.
Tibbies, 1858; R. Boyd. S. H. Nesbitt, 1859; L. J. Higgins, P. R. Mc-
Cue, I860; A. L. Petty, John Shearer, 1862; E. B. Griffin. 1862-63;
John Stephens, 1863-64; G. W. Baker, 1864; John Grant, 1865; J. Q. A.
Miller, 1867; T. H. Wilkinson, 1869; Edward Ellison 1872; J. B. Uber,
1875; J. R. Keyes, 1877-80; A. J. Hiatt, 1886-88; W. D. Stevens, 1889-
90; S. P. Loyd, 1891-94; J. S. Eaton, 1895; W. H. Haverfield, 1896-97;
E. R. Jones, 1898; G. T. Humble, 1899-1901; J. F.Ellis, 1902-5; R. E.
Meyers, 1906-7; A. E. Yeager, 1908; W. A. Kinney, 1909.
Rev. Joseph Hall preached in the vicinity of East Springfield at
the houses of Henry Hammond and William Davidson, who with the Rileys,
Rutledges, Johnsons and Minors formed the first Methodist Class. After
the building of St. John's Church in 1826, the only house of worship
then in the village, they held services there with more or less regu-
larity until 1846, when they erected a building for themselves.
Mount Hope Church in Section 20 was organized about 1830 with
James Cowden as class Leader. From 1833 to 1841 preaching was had at
the house of James Rutledge, when a log church was built, .which stood
until i860, when it was replaced by a frame. It was supplied from